Friday, October 7, 2011

meet the designer: bink & boo


on fridays i am going to start introducing magpie lovely designers and give them the opportunity to tell the story behind their brand. 
first up, meet bink & boo! 
bink & boo pairs their vintage fabric finds with modern textiles for a cheerful approach to creating such beautiful products.
i had the opportunity to talk with the fabulous bianca from bink & boo and ask her a few questions. she is as bright and cheery as the lovely fabrics she uses for bink & boo. here is what she had to say.

WHAT INSPIRES YOU WHEN CREATING DESIGNS FOR BINK & BOO?
I am inspired by so much, but specifically when I am creating new designs it is always in the early morning between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m. I love being the first one up in our house…and the neighborhood. There is something so peaceful about the silence of the morning and welcoming a fresh new day before the light of dawn. I usually stumble down into my office, and once I turn on the lights I am instantly awakened by the vibrant decor and vivid textiles that are scattered about for inspiration. It’s kind of like a welcoming slap on the face each morning, but in a good way–it has to be when you are up as early as I am. My creative space is filled with lots of family photos from the 60′s and 70′s, swatches of my favorite fabric finds, and all sorts of chachkies and chingaderas from thrift trips; It’s the juxtaposition of these things that help me create and bring me inspiration.
WHAT ARE A FEW THINGS THAT YOU CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT?
This question cracks me up, because the first thing that comes to mind is that I could NOT live without Trader Joe’s (grocery store). Isn’t that silly? But seriously I love it, and I have told my husband that we could NEVER live somewhere that doesn’t have a Trader Joe’s. I have shopped there since I was a little girl. My husband didn’t really get the whole TJ’s obsession until recently, and I am proud to report that he is now just as much a fan as I am.
The other thing that I could not live without is my flat iron. I have short hair that is very thick and naturally curly/wavy. If I don’t straighten it, my hair begins to look like Rod Blagojevich, it’s awful.
This brings me to the third thing I cannot live without, lip gloss. Because I have short hair I feel like I always have to have a little gloss to keep myself from looking too boyish. I am a fan of Stila lip glaze, I feel like every color is made for me, but “apricot” is my go to. I keep one in my car, one in my husbands car, two in my purse, one in my office, and one in the stroller.
And the one thing that I could never live without (I know there were only supposed to be three, but I have always been a rule breaker), my family. My mom, dad, grandmother, aunts, uncles, my amazing husband and son, they are me. I am a mix of cultures that all consider “familia” to be the most important thing. I have experienced some amazing highs in my life with a sprinkling of some lows, but through everything my family has been there to love me, hug me, catch me, dust me off, and send me right back on my way. I do not want to know what life would be like without Trader Joe’s, nor do I want to walk around town with Rod Blagojevich hair and no lip gloss, but I would give up all those things in an instant for the comfort of my family.
WHAT IS YOUR WISH FOR BINK & BOO?
My wish is for bink & boo to becomes a household name and brand. It’s our mission to spread an extra ray of sunshine to every corner of the country. There is so much joy, love, and history behind our brand and each creation, and we feel that when people buy our goods all that “sunshine” comes through and it makes people smile. Making people smile is a wonderful gift in life.
we are going to ask bianca to move into her office. isn’t it just lovely?
check out bink & boo! new items in stock now. 
these booties are my favorite!! 








xo, kate

No comments:

Post a Comment